Sunday, June 14, 2020

Wait! I Can Explain!!!

June 7, 1973

Mr. Kenneth L. Kuykendall
Royston, Rayzor, Cook & Vickery
Attorneys At Law
One Shell Plaza
Houston, Texas 77002

Dear Mr. Kuykendall

I went over the deposition sent to me by the young lady who recorded it, and I discovered two things which give me some concern. The one is that part of my testimony was a bit irrelevant and calculated to give you some trouble in court. The other lies in the fact that my behavior, at times, in this performance, was a clear indication (to me, at least) that I nave not really recovered completely from the recent illness which took me to an Hospital in San Francisco, and nearly terminated my career. I deeply regret certain of my remarks in the deposition to which, properly, whether necessary on technical grounds I cannot say, you took exception.

I have noted in certain of my reactions, from time to time, since my illness, mild indications of irritability and of irrelevant behavior, and I regret this very much, not only because of the effects which might result from my somewhat irrational behavior, but also because of the difficulties which might result between myself and persons who have had to deal with me on such occasion. I apologize, on personal grounds, for the difficulties into which I have led you in this matter, where I criticized, unnecessarily, the operations on this ship which resulted in the illnesses of the men. Not that the criticism was not richly deserved, but that this was not the proper tine and place for such criticism.  My judgment and behavior were faulty, in this regard, and I suppose, with generosity to myself, that I was becoming tired at the time of my outbursts.  I had not realized, previously, that I must be more careful for some time to come, to stay within my limits, and while this is something of a shock to me, I am much better aware now that I have certain limitations.  This will not help you in this matter, but it may, I hope, persuade you that it is not in my character, generally, to be troublesome in. childish ways of self-assertion.

With my kindest personal regards,

Cordially yours,

Professor Emertus of
Occupational Medicine

RAK:wb


  • This is the Robert Kehoe who poisoning is co-workers with lead and the Boston Hospital had to track them down.
  • That wasn't a hospital, it was an asylum, just like the one Midgley went to after dipping his hands in tetry-ethyl lead to prove it was not poisonous.
  • High levels of lead from tetra-ethly lead cause violent insanity, lower levels can cause irrational behavior
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment